14 Symptoms Of Prolonged Mold Exposure


Molds are microscopic fungi that can be found both outside and inside. They’re a part of our natural ecosystem and flourish in damp environments. Mold is ubiquitous in both buildings and households. Mold thrives in damp environments, such as around roof, window, or pipe leaks, or in areas where there has been flooding. Mold thrives on paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wooden goods. Dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery can all harbor mold. Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillus are the most common indoor molds.

Molds spread through the release of spores. When we inhale these spores, we are exposed to mold. Damp and moldy settings can have a variety of health consequences, or none at all. Mold sensitivity affects some people. Mold exposure can cause symptoms such as a stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes or skin in these persons. Some patients, such as those with mold allergies or asthma, may experience more severe reactions. Workers exposed to excessive concentrations of mold in occupational situations, such as farmers working with moldy hay, may experience severe reactions. Fever and loss of breath are common severe reactions.

If you’re not feeling well and suspect you’ve been exposed to unsafe levels of mold, read on to see if your symptoms match up.

1. Nasal Congestion

Nasal congestion, commonly known as a stuffy nose, is frequently a sign of another ailment, such as a sinus infection. It could also be due to a regular cold. When your nose becomes congested and inflamed, you have congestion. Nasal congestion is most commonly caused by minor diseases. A stuffy nose can be caused by a cold, the flu, or sinus infections, for example. Congestion caused by illness usually clears up within a week. If it lasts more than a week, it’s usually a sign of anything more serious, including mold exposure.